Lightroom is arguably one of the best photography software programs made by Adobe Systems and the perfect complement to Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop Elements 11. But it’s been some time since Lightroom 4 was released and we’re begging to wonder when Lightroom 5 will be coming (and if it’s worth waiting for the next version). So we went out and gathered then best info that we could find and have come up with the following predictions:
- Lightroom 5 – Expected to be released between early June 2014.
- Lightroom 5 Beta – Now available at Adobe Labs!
- Lightroom 4 – Was released on March 6th, 2012 (21 months after version 3).
- Lightroom 3 – Was released in June 2010 (23 months after v.2). This is the current version of Adobe Lightroom.
- Lightroom 2 – Was released in July 2008 (17 months after v.1). You can still find some older copies still for sale at Amazon.
- Lightroom 1 – Was released in February 2007.
Adobe is pretty secretive when it comes to announcing any release dates or responding to rumors, however once the beta is available for download you can expect the official release to come about 2 months after. This allows for the official Lightroom 5 beta testers to provide feedback on the new version and for the engineers to make some tweaks. You can visit the Adobe Labs if you’re interested in signing up and becoming an official Adobe beta tester.
If you’re not sure about upgrading to Lightroom 4 now or waiting to Lightroom 5, we world say that because Lightoom is a relatively inexpensive product (just slightly more that Apple’s Aperture) and we are so many months away from the release, doing the upgrade now to the current version shouldn’t be very painful. Plus, if your upgrading from the previous versions or can qualify for the student discount you can save about $50.00 (or 66%) from the listed retail price. If this is your first time buying Lightroom, we recommend that you see the discounts posted on Amazon first as they usually have some of the best deals (plus free shipping and no sales tax in most states).
Here is another helpful resource with discussions on the upcoming launch of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5:
- Scott Kelby’s First Look at LR5 – The founder of Photoshop Insider Magazine, one of the most well known Photoshop gurus, puts out his wish list for Lightroom 5. As he is well connected to the folks at Adobe and one of the key beta testers, his notes usually have a pretty high probability of making it into the next release.
As soon as we hear some concrete and credible rumors about Photoshop Lightroom 5, we’ll post them here on this page. We are also tracking Adobe CS7 rumors here as well. Let us know if you have any new updates, news, expected features, or anything else Lightroom related and we will post it here.