Although Photoshop CS6 was just announced, we are already hearing rumors about the features coming in the upcoming CS7 release. Adobe Systems was once traditionally very secretive around the launch of their new products, but they have officially announced a 24-month release cycle for all their creative suite products, with smaller 12-month releases on a per-product basis (depending on the updates needed).
So when’s the newest version coming? Here’s our predictions:
- Photoshop CS7 – Expected to be released in April 2014.
- Photoshop CS7 Beta – Look for beta to be posted on Adobe Labs in early 2014.
- Photoshop CS6 – This is the current version. It was released in April 2012. Learn more.
- Photoshop CS6 beta – The beta version was released in March 2012.
- Photoshop CS5.1 – Released in April 2011 (12 months after CS5).
- Photoshop CS5 – Released in April 2010 (18 months after CS4).
- Photoshop CS4 – Released in October 2008 (18 months after CS3).
- Photoshop CS3 – Released in April 2007 (24 months after CS2).
- Photoshop CS2 – Released in April 2005 (18 months after CS).
- Photoshop CS1 – Released in October 2003.
For those thinking about waiting to upgrade to Photoshop CS7, keep in mind that you can only do so only if you own a previous version of Photoshop up (only one-version back). So for example, if you currently own Photoshop CS5, under the current upgrade policy you can upgrade to CS6 under the discounted upgrade price (even if you own a student version and are upgrading to the non-student regular version). But once CS7 is released, your older copy of CS5 does not qualify for the upgrade price and you will either need to buy the full new version or the student version (if you can show a school identification). By the way, Adobe’s student versions are the exact same versions as regular editions of Photoshop but discounted from 60% to 80% off the retail price. So if for example, Photoshop CS6 Extended retails for $999, you are able to get the same student version for $199 with is even lower than the upgrade price… Pretty good, huh?
As soon as we hear some more rumors about Photoshop CS7, we’ll post them here on this page along with some good deals on our main Adobe coupons page as soon as it’s on sale.
Here are some other helpful resources, rumors, and discussions on the upcoming launch of Adobe CS7:
- Adobe.com CS7 Forum – This is the official discussion page on Adobe’s forums. Just keep in mind that some of these comments/posts may be moderated by Adobe employees.
- CS6CouponCodes.com – The all new site dedicated to tracking and monitoring rumors surround software releases.
- Apple Insider – Some CS7 sneak peaks and rumors posted by the folks at Apple Insider.
- Dpreview Forum – Follow the Adobe Photoshop CS7 discussions, rumors, and rants on in on of the largest digital photography forums.
Let us know by leaving a comment below if you have any new updates, news, wants, rants, expected features, or rumors about the next release or Photoshop CS7 or Lightroom 5.