REI is known for having one of the best return policies in the sports industry – Including on all those big-ticket items such as mountain bikes, kayaks, baby strollers, shoes, tents, and more (not really something that can be said when returning orders at some of the other stores like Big 5 or Sports Authority). No matter if you made your purchase online at REI.com or in your local outlet store, they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of their products, along with a lifetime guarantee on everything they sell. Plus, if you made your purchase with your REI co-op membership card, your order can be tracked in the system even if you’ve misplaced your order number or store receipt you can return your used stuff without the physically having the receipt. Generally, REI lets you return any products that don’t meet your expectations for a full refund or credit… usually even if it’s after their 30 day return window. Just keep in mind that because the REI-OUTLET.com stock changes very quickly, sometimes a refund will be in place of an exchange and not cash back.
See REI’s official return policy page for full details.
All items purchased in-store or online can be returned at your local REI outlet retail store so no needed to box up anything and pay to ship it back to rei.com. But if you don’t have a local REI store near you, then you can return or exchange your purchase by mail by following these instructions (as posted on REI.com):
1. Include a copy of your receipt, invoice, email receipt, or gift packing list. If you longer have any of these items then you may be able to include a letter with the following information:
- Full Name
- Member or customer number
- Mailing and Billing Address
- Daytime Phone number
- E-mail address
- When, where and by whom the purchase was made
- Reason for the return
- Purchase price of the item(s)
2. Please specify whether you would like an exchange, a repair, a refund or a bankcard credit.
3. Insure the package for your protection and return to:
(If you are retuning your REI order by UPS):
REI Returns Dept.
1700 45th St E.
Sumner, WA 98352
(If you are retuning your REI order by USPS):
REI Returns Dept.
P.O. Box 1700
Sumner, WA 98390
4. You can expedite an exchange by placing a new order with your credit or debit card and returning the unwanted merchandise for store credit.
5. Please launder or clean any used merchandise being returned.
Please note that REI’s return policy may change at any time. We suggest you read the full terms and conditions posted on rei.com or consult with your local outlet store for case-by-case return exceptions.